Sunday, June 20, 2010

Toy Story 3 (2010)






It's no surprise that Pixar animation studios pretty much has a monopoly on the world of animated films. Each year they release a film that is even more successful than the previous year and they don't seem to be slowing down anytime soon. Dare I say that Disney might of went down if it wasn't for Pixar. So when I heard stories about a third entry in the Toy Story series, honestly, I wasn't all that excited. Then I saw the teaser trailer and, still, no excitement. However, every one else seemed to be excited about it. Don't get me wrong, I did love the first two. I just didn't see a reason for a third one and when I saw the actual theatrical trailer I was underwhelmed.

Toy Story 3 is a film directed by Lee Unkrich and stars the voice talents of Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, Joan Cusack, Ned Beatty, Don Rickles, Michael Keaton, Wallace Shawn, John Ratzenberger, Estelle Harris, Jodi Benson, John Morris, and Laurie Metcalf. This film picks up ten years after the last one and now sees Andy, 17, bound for college. This sort of creates a crisis for the toys because now their future is uncertain. They are donated to a daycare called Sunnyside with new adventures to have and presumably to start a new chapter in their lives. The idea of always having kids to play with them for years and years is very strong plot point and a very valid reason for these toys to want to be there. After realizing that Sunnyside isn't what it seems, Woody and Buzz, along with the other toys, plan an escape that results in one of the biggest adventures in Pixar's lineup of films. That's the plot in a nutshell in fear of giving too much away.

Much to my surprise, I was completely blown away by this film. This is a five star animated film in every respect and I have to say that it could be one of Pixar's BEST. I should've never doubted Pixar for a moment. It's very rare for an animated film to make me emote and that's exactly what happened here. I laughed, I nearly cried, and was on the edge of my seat in the film's final moments. It was like going to a reunion where you expect the worst but it turns out to be the best time you've had in a while with people you love. These characters have been with us for fifteen years and I fell in love with them all over again and was reminded of why I loved them so much to begin with. These characters are as timeless as the story that's being told here and it was fun to spend time with old friends.

I'm amazed at what Pixar has done here. Every little detail is accounted for and fleshed out. Completely authentic in it's approach, there's a scene near the beginning where we see home videos of Andy growing up as Randy Newman's classic song "You've Got A Friend In Me" plays on. Brilliance. Years have gone by so the toys have wear and tear on them and it's so authentic and so real, that you can't help but admire it. They've really done their homework and have crafted a story that is heartfelt and very human. The validity of the human condition in this animated film surpasses any live action film that I've seen lately and that is both great and sad. The emotions on their faces are priceless and real. It goes to show you that animated films have come a long way and they are now in position to challenge live action film. They even pushed the boundaries in this film and actually went to a VERY dark place that I didn't even expect. All I will tell you is that the scene I'm referring to, takes place in a landfill and it's the one scene that, when you see it, you'll see the most human moment in the entire film. The fact that the filmmakers weren't afraid to go to a dark place and took that risk was both gratifying and refreshing.

Another thing that Pixar has done here with Toy Story 3 is that they managed to seamlessly put us back into this world that they created fifteen years ago. The dialogue is sharper, better, and wittier than ever and the film manages to cater to the most general of audiences. Adults and kids alike will cherish this film. There were moments when I thought, wow, this is very well written and whoever wrote this deserves some sort of award. It's even more relevant than it was fifteen years ago when we were first charmed by Woody, Buzz Lightyear, and friends. There was even a new song recorded by Randy Newman entitled "We Belong Together" which strongly captures the whole theme of this new story.

I strongly recommend this film for any age group. The message it sends is as timeless as the characters themselves which is, you can always get by with a little help from your friends. Never have I seen an animated film, besides "Up", that manages to capture the human condition and challenges it's live action counterparts. It was endearing and heartfelt and will bring out the kid in all of you. Toy Story 3 is now playing in theaters everywhere and I have included a trailer just in case you've been in a cave for the past year.




No comments:

Post a Comment