Tuesday, March 30, 2010

UP (2009)




Pixar is a force to be reckoned with. I pity any other animation studio because Pixar knocks it out the park EVERY SINGLE FUCKING TIME...How do they do it? Who is working for them? No one really knows but it's definitely a team of the best in the business. Their stories are always so heartfelt and funny and adventurous and there's always layers of story that are just compelling.

"UP" is a film directed By Pete Doctor and co-directed by Bob Peterson. It stars the voice talents of Edward Asner, Christopher Plummer, Jordan Nagai, and Bob Peterson. The film is about an old man named Carl Fredrickson who flies his house to a spot where his late wife always wanted to go, paradise falls. It's the sweetest film I have seen in a long time and it's very rare for an animated film to make me emotional. He accidentally takes a young wilderness scout with him and they go on an adventure into the unknown. I have to say that when I first heard about "UP", all I knew is that a flying house and an old man were involved and I honestly didn't worry about the content because I knew that Pixar would deliver. This film was the second animated film behind "Beauty And The Beast" to ever be nominated for a best picture Oscar and it's well deserved. The film moved me in ways I never thought I could be moved. The first 15 minutes of the film alone nearly gave me a cavity because of how sweet it was. This is an adventure film for the ages and it takes you on a journey that you'll never forget. I can't really think of anything bad to say about this film but if you think a film about a flying house sounds ridiculous, you'll be proved wrong.

All of the characters are very endearing, Carl the old man, Russell the young wilderness explorer, Kevin the large flightless tropical bird, Dug the talking golden retriever, and many more. These are definitely characters that you'll remember and that's another thing that Pixar is really good at, memorable characters. The score sweeps you away with the house and everything about this film is on a grand scale. It's almost an animated epic mostly due in large part to the final act. As far as animation goes, this is the best of the best. I saw this on blu ray and in my opinion, whether you use blu ray or digital download, you should watch this in high definition. You will be stunned. If you're worried about the prices of blu ray, you can always rent or buy from Amazon.com. You can buy blu rays there between $5-$25 bucks used and you can new stuff too. Plus they are always having really good sales on them every week.

This is also a film that immerses you in sound. If you have surround sound, this will be a pleasure for you to watch. Especially if you have lossless audio receiver. Disney takes very good care of it's films and it's presentations and everything they do, they do it with care and quality. I highly recommend this film to anyone, whether you like animation or not. If you're not part of the HD revolution don't worry because Disney's standard definition DVD's are top of the line.




No comments:

Post a Comment