Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Moon (2009)




A lot of people don't know that I'm a huge sci-fi buff but I'm very picky about what sci-fi I'm into. I'm not a trekkie but love the movie "Star Trek" that came out last year. I want to get into "Battlestar Galactica" at some point since it was all most of my friends on Facebook could talk about during it's final season. There are many more sci-fi films and shows out there, but it's a very fine line for me on what I like. For instance, I love the X Files movies but not much into the TV show itself. I also would like to get into "Firefly" because I loved the film "Serenity" on which the show was based. Aside from shows, there are a lot of sci-fi films that I like because it can be a very ethereal experience. The idea of space scares me and I think that's what draws me to the movies, the unknown. Every once in a while, a sci-fi film comes along that makes a geek rejoice.

"Moon" is a film directed by Duncan Jones, the son of David Bowie, and stars Sam Rockwell as Sam Bell, an employee of Lunar industries sent to extract helium-3 from lunar soil for much needed clean energy back on earth. He is stationed on the moon for three years along with his robotic assistant GERTY, voiced by Kevin Spacey. Sam left behind his wife to go on the mission and is only allowed limited amount of recorded transmissions to and from Earth. Two weeks before his three year contract is up, Sam begins to see hallucinations of a teenage girl. Sam then has an accident during a routine rover excursion and from there it gets VERY interesting. This is the very example of sci-fi done well and I can't tell you more without ruining one of the best twists in recent movie history. Sam Rockwell gives an amazing performance as essentially, this is a one man show. Anyone who can carry a film by themselves is a great actor and Rockwell does just that. This is an Oscar caliber performance in every sense of the word and it's too bad that he wasn't recognized. His performance was vulnerable yet strong and he really grasped the fear and hopelessness of this character. It always amazes me when I see a performance like this. Where an actor completely loses themselves and becomes the character. He let himself feel these things. That's really what acting is about, is letting yourself go and letting yourself feel. For most people that's a very vulnerable place to be, and it is, which is why there are transparent actors. It takes guts to be vulnerable on film. It's not something that everyone will accept as an actor but certain roles call for it. This film got a lot of attention at film festivals and rightfully so because not only is this a great sci-fi film, it's also just a great film in general. It reminds you of classic films and how they didn't need much to tell a story or to compel you.

The set design of this film is something that really caught my attention. Everything was planned out and in great detail. You actually feel like you're on that ship with Sam. At times it's even claustrophobic. The sound design is also immaculate and is a perfect example of how sound recording should be done in film. Technically, this film did everything right. The cinematography is stellar and everything looks like the film had a much bigger budget than it's $5 million budget. Which is measly according to Hollywood's standards. However, there have films made for much less and look like $10-$20 million dollar films. The trick is learning how to get more bang for your buck and it's very possible my filmmaking friends. You just have to know the tricks of the trade and they are out there in many forms.

I highly recommend Moon, not just to sci-fi buffs, to everyone. It's a very interesting film and will keep in tuned in with it's plot. The trailer is what drew me in...



No comments:

Post a Comment