Saturday, February 6, 2010

A Single Man (2009)




You've got to hand it to the Weinstein Company, you know, they are really bold with their choices and even if they aren't received well, the work still speaks for itself with it's undying quality. I have to admit when the Weinsteins formed their own company a while ago, their slate of films weren't the quality they are now and I didn't think they were going to last as I'm sure most of Hollywood thought the same thing. Then they produced "Grindhouse" a film that still hasn't been released on DVD as it was seen in theaters, unless you happen to live in Japan. It was one of those once in a lifetime theater experiences that I'll never forget and it's a shame that it's been reduced to two separate films. After that, they have basically overshadowed Miramax films, who they used to work for, and now Miramax is no more. Tom Ford is a fashion designer who has done a lot for himself. He has taught me a lot about fashion and a lot about the kind of suit a man should wear. When I go to the Oscars, I want him to dress me. He is the definition of a man and I totally have a crush on him as well. He's from Texas, like me, and he's great at everything he does. When I found out he was directing a film, I nearly died. Tom Ford behind the camera? That can only be magic! However, I also knew that it could be a complete disaster.

"A Single Man" is the title of Tom Ford's directorial debut and it stars Colin Firth, Julianne Moore, Matthew Goode, Nicholas Hoult, Lee Pace, and Ginnifer Goodwin. The film is based on a novel by Christopher Isherwood. A Single Man is about an English professor living in Los Angeles whose partner suddenly dies in a car accident in Colorado while visiting his family. The rest of the film is about him making it through a single day in Los Angeles while mourning and dealing with school, a student who has a crush on him, and his neighbor Charlie, played wonderfully by Julianne Moore. Colin Firth has definitely rose in rank as an actor to me after seeing this. How did I miss his brilliance all this time. Tom Ford knew it and used it to his advantage here. This film proves that Colin Firth is a very underrated actor. There's a scene where he first finds out about his partner's death over the phone. Instead of doing the obvious reaction, Firth sits there and builds up to his reaction. You literally see the tears form in his eyes and they spill out slowly building to crying, which was very touching to see on screen. Colin was sexy in this...very sexy and I say that with admiration. Julianne Moore was only really in the film for one scene which lasted close to ten minutes but it was one of the best scenes in the entire film. Of course Julianne is one of my all time favorite actresses so I wasn't surprised but she really outdid herself here as a drunk divorced woman who still loves Colin's character, George. Matthew Goode is utterly charming as Jim, George's late partner seen in flashbacks of happier times. He's a very handsome man and was totally believable as George's young lover in the film. The chemistry between him and Firth is authentic. Lee Pace was only in the film for one scene and it was almost a cameo appearance. However, he was very good as always. Nicholas Hoult certainly grew up fast. I don't know what he's been eating but he shot up like rocket! He's used here as the typical wide eyed twink obsessed with the older man. Which in a way I was almost over it because we've seen it so many times. I guess I would've like it better if he was a boy of color but Nicholas was so damn charming in the role, he made me forget about it. Ginnifer Goodwin also does a great job with her limited screen time as a mother who lives next door to George.

Now, as far as the film's look, it was absolutely splendid! I loved the palette for this film. Tom Ford captured the look of the era to the letter and it made the film look amazing. He used a lot of muted tones so it looked like the film was stripped of color but not all of it. Every time Firth's character sniffed something or saw something of beauty, that object came to full glorious life in color which was one of the most beautiful tricks I've ever seen in film. Of course at times the film looked like it could've been an extended ad for clothing or perfume which is only natural because of the director's roots. Was this film pretentious? Maybe. There were spots that I thought were too pretentious for their own good, but Ford gets a get out of jail free card for this since it's his first film. He even used a runway model for one of the scenes which was so obvious. Everything about this film seemed tailored and that's not a bad thing. If Tom Ford can tailor a suit, then I suppose he can do the same for film.

The opening score for this film was beautiful. Just that opening sequence alone makes we want to get the soundtrack. Aside from that, I really didn't pay attention to the music because I was so immersed in the film itself. Also there was nothing gratuitous about the film. Ford has a way of photographing the male form and it shows here. It was very subdued, almost suggestive in a way and that was something that I found to be a rewarding part of this experience. It's fashion on film. It's an editorial come to life and it never looked so good.

If you love fashion and art films then you will love this. It's got all the makings of a promising new director and Colin Firth is up for an Oscar for his performance. The trailer for this film is what hooked me and hopefully it will do the same to you...


No comments:

Post a Comment