Sunday, February 14, 2010

NINE (2009) 2nd review




So now, I have officially seen Nine three times and I have to say that I love it even more than I originally did. I know now, more than ever, that this film is being largely misunderstood. No one gets it. They don't get the concept, they don't get the music, well except for "Cinema Italiano" the most pop friendly song in the film. I understand now why that song is in the film because if it wasn't, the movie probably would've made less money. Smart move, no doubt made by the Weinstein brothers. No one gets the idea or what's happening in the film or why it's called Nine or any of that. This film was made for a certain audience and that certain audience didn't show up to support it. Maybe I'm seeing something that other people aren't seeing but I just think this film is fantastic. There is so much conviction in these songs, so much power. I just don't understand how no one is feeling that. I do have the advantage because I have seen the film three times and I've had an opportunity to analyze it and study it. Am I missing something here? These performances, even though most parts are supporting, are so deep and real. I'm really starting to think that we're so jaded as a movie going audience that we miss what's really going on underneath what we see on the screen. Movie critics as well. Another big problem that this film has is that people are comparing it to Rob Marshall's other musical "Chicago" which, in my opinion, is a huge mistake. These are two totally different concepts and films. It is also being compared to the broadway musical of the same name and I can understand that, but everything doesn't have to be like the other. Just like the other two projects were different, the film is a concept all it's own while retaining the idea. That's actually the biggest problem that this film has. Another problem was that a lot of people felt that the film was miscast, that the music was bad, and the pacing of the film was problematic. That may be true, but all of this is really only determined by viewing this film once. I thought that the pacing of the film was bad and that a few parts were miscast, but after seeing it two more times, I get it. Some films need more than one viewing to realize what's really going on. Some of the things that I read on the IMDB message boards are horrible. How can people be so mean? They demote these performances in this film like they're nothing and all that hard work that these actors put into this film is wasted. I can never say this enough, no matter how bad a film is, it's always good to appreciate what is being done because it takes a lot to make a film and anyone who achieves that deserves a medal. Kate Hudson seems to be getting a lot of hate, presumably, because her character seems pointless to people and they don't like her song. I'm sorry, maybe I'm biased, but her character makes perfect sense to this film in particular and her song is one of the best songs in the film because it signifies the American de-sensibility to European culture. It's perfect, you have to listen to the lyrics and listen to what she says before her song and the way that Guido reacts to her definition of Italian cinema. It's genius.

"Nine" is a film directed by Rob Marshall and stars Daniel Day-Lewis, Marion Cotillard, Penelope Cruz, Judi Dench, Fergie, Kate Hudson, Nicole Kidman, and Sophia Loren. The film is based on two things, the film "8 1/2" by Federico Fellini and the broadway play that spun from that called Nine as well. The idea is really quite simple. A man is having trouble with motivation for his next project and he looks to the women in his life for inspiration. I will admit that the execution of the film might be a little problematic but for the most part I adored this film and what it had to offer me. Daniel Day-Lewis put his own spin on Guido and at first I wasn't so sure about it and then after two more viewings I came to respect it. Why I ever doubted Daniel is beyond me. This performance is well crafted and multi layered and this is the film version of Guido Contini, not the plays. Marion Cotillard's performance is one that is so strong yet vulnerable. She performs her songs with such believability that you really feel her pain and frustration. All of the other performances are very well suited to the characters that they are playing. They all put their magic touches on their characters and it shows. I'm so glad I revisited this film twice because I see it in a whole new different way now.

The music and the lighting of this film were both commendable. As I've said before, Rob Marshall is a master at that because he comes from a theatre background. Visually this film is a stunner and there's so much going on at times that you don't know where to look. Every detail is seen and has been carefully put together. There's not a moment where you don't feel that it's 1960's Italia. The costumes are fantastic and rightfully so since they are now Oscar nominated.

All is all, I have to say that if you saw this film once and hated it, watch it again and really pay attention to what you might be missing. This is really an original idea but inspired by something else. I've been a big supporter of this film since day one and I will continue to be because I feel like it's deserved for such a great production of talent, music, and film.



No comments:

Post a Comment