Monday, January 25, 2010

Precious (2009)




This is actually my third time seeing this film and I have to admit that it packs a punch every time. Now I have to admit, I downloaded a screener of it online and put it on my PS3 to watch with my parents, who hadn't seen it. I don't normally do that but I figured, I payed my money twice to see it in the theater and I plan on buying the blu ray when it comes out on March 9th so it's no big deal. I'm not selling it or showing to anyone else.

Precious is a film that is based on a novel by an author named Sapphire and the film was directed by Lee Daniels who directed a little know indie film with Cuba Gooding Jr. and Helen Mirren called "Shadowboxer." This film stars newcomer Gabourey Sidibe, Mo'Nique, Paula Patton, Mariah Carey, and Lenny Kravitz, my twin, as everyone says. After seeing this film three times, I have to say that this film is raw poetry in it's purest form. It doesn't try to be glossy or anything it's not for that matter. It's very real and honest and a great sophomoric effort for Lee Daniels. I didn't really like Shadowboxer because I thought it was to muddled, but I might have to give it a second watch now since I'm more aware of his style than I was before. Set in Harlem in 1987, Precious is about an illiterate sixteen year old teen girl who is pregnant with her second child by her own father and is physically, mentally, and sexually abused by her unemployed mother. It's a very powerful film and one that will make an impact on any viewer.

Now it's no surprise that people are talking about Mo'Nique's performance as Mary Jones in the film. It's one of those rare performances that comes every once in a while and shakes you to your core. Reminiscent of Charlize Theron's performance in "Monster" in the way that the performance is almost other worldly. Every actor dreams for a part like this but only a few can actually channel and perform a part like this. It takes every part of you as a human being to pull off a complex performance such as this one. Mary Jones is delusional. She blames her failure as a woman on Precious and You hate her throughout the film. However, there is a scene where she does a monologue and you almost feel sorry for her. She actually believes that what she's doing is right and, for that, you feel something totally different than hate. It's the test of true acting fellow cinephiles. THIS IS ACTING AT IT'S FINEST!! You can't get anymore real than this and I was so immersed in that monologue. I hope that one day I can portray a character with such raw tenacity and conviction. Having said that, the rest of the cast didn't slouch. Gabourey Sidibe as Precious was wonderful as well. This being the actress' first film, she did an amazing job. Mariah Carey shocked a lot of people with her tender and real performance as a social worker. Paula Patton was endearing as a teacher and Lenny Kravitz was great with his limited screen time as a male nurse.

Lee Daniels' film is really gritty and the palette makes you feel like there is no hope for any of the characters. The only bright colors that you see are in the dream sequences that Precious has. The film almost has a glow to it as well. Certain scenes there seems to be an array of light almost signifying hope.

If you want to be immersed in a film that will make you feel like your problems are nothing compared to someone else's, this is the film to watch. I guarantee after you watch it, you will feel a lot better about your situation.


No comments:

Post a Comment