Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Soloist (2009)


Very late last night I watched a very underrated gem of 2009, The Soloist Directed By Joe Wright. Director of Pride & Prejudice and Atonement and starring Robert Downey Jr., Jamie Foxx, and Catherine Keener. The Soloist is a film based on the true story of the relationship between a newspaper columnist and a homeless violin player. Right off the bat, I have to say that I wasn't too excited about seeing this film. When I saw the trailers it just seemed like another run of the mill drama about two people from two different backgrounds coming together for the greater good. I really should stop assuming things about some films because I was totally wrong. This is a film of cinematic beauty and when a film has my eyes glued to the screen without looking away, even if my phone is ringing, then you have scored with me. I was incredibly deeply moved by this film and let me tell you why...

The way the film starts off is fantastic. No huge introduction or accelerated music, just a simple almost quiet intro with Robert Downey Jr.'s voice over. I should've expected this brilliance from Joe Wright. Robert Downey Jr. is utterly charming as Steve Lopez, a columnist for the Los Angeles Times. Isn't he always charming? Most would argue that Downey plays the same improvisational mumbling character in all of his films but I think he's a lot more vulnerable here. He allows himself to go further and I think he does a great job of that. Especially when his character is in really tough situations. Jamie Foxx is literally sublime as Nathaniel Ayers, the homeless schizophrenic violinist. He really captured the tortured soul of Nathaniel to the letter and I was really emotionally invested in that character, you have no idea. I can't even imagine what it would be like to be at the top of your game and then to start hearing voices in your head. It was almost terrifying to see him lose it. I have a family member who has that problem so I know a little bit about the deception that those voices can deliver. I just can't imagine it. Also the scenes between Downey and Catherine Keener are electric. They bounce off of each other so effortlessly and they're fun to watch together. This may be a tad to observant, but there's a scene at the beginning of the film when Catherine Keener's character is walking through the office and as she walks she says a brief something to everyone she passes. It's so natural an so fluid that it's like she's not even acting at all. Call me weird, but I rewound that scene like three times just to watch the magic.

Another thing that deeply moved me about this film was the outstanding cinematography. There was a lot of well done crane shots in this film. Aside from that, this is why Joe Wright is so brilliant because he wants his audience to feel everything. It's almost like he pleases all six senses with his films. This is a great example of transporting your audience with images and sound. Those are two very important factors of a film. This film transported me with it's emotional resonance and that may sound crazy to some of you but the rest of you know what I'm talking about because a film has done that to you.

This film was a great example of brilliant simplicity. The Soloist gets my highest recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment